Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Hello Politicians

I think politicians should apply to try to get my vote.

I am going to put out what I want in a candidate and you can just let me know if you can meet my criteria. Wouldn't it be so much easier that way? It could be like lending tree - instead of banks competing for my business - it's politians competing for my vote.

so let's see:
1: I don't have kids right now, but I hope to some day so I want to make sure our public schools are preparing kids to be competitive in the real world. I want to make sure we aren't skimping on education (which includes art, music and gym class- without them who will get the chance be the next Rothko? Springsteen? Jordan?) and while I'm at it public school teachers work hard - let's pay them fairly. I'm ok using my tax dollars for that.

2: I don't make a lot of money, but apprently according to the federal gov. I make too much and I'm single, and I don't have kids - therefore I get screwed and about 50% of my salary goes to taxes. Taxes should not only take into account how much you make, but where you live. Sure my salary is probably great for someone living in Nebraska, but for someone living in Boston it's not enough to buy my own condo. I still rent. Perhaps my shoe 'issue' is part of the problem, but it's also the cost of living here. Cut me a break. Help out the single gal living in the city trying to make a living.

3: while I am paying all this money on taxes I expect my tax dollars to go to things like filling in the potholes and paving the roads - so I don't have to worry about getting a flat trying to navigate the streets of boston. Shit, while we're at it, maybe Boston could throw up a few street signs to let people know where they are? or maybe not...

4: Hatred and discrimination shouldn't be written into the constitution. Families that love each other should be allowed to be a family. I can understand perhaps a religious organization doesn't want to allow it, but the government shouldn't ban that? Who are we to decide what is right for people? There is no reason to treat people badly or not acknowledge families because they are different. I don't think that is what is screwing up America - there are much bigger and more important issues to worry about. (because the one I just mentioned shouldn't BE an 'issue') Like just one example: Shouldn't America be worried that we have the biggest obesity epidemic in world history? that 50% of American's born after a certain year will be diabetic due to obesity? Shouldn't we be concerned about the crap being put into our foods? Hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, ingredients we can't pronounce. I'm much more concerned about my health and the health of other americans than who is married to who. making health care affordable, and getting people healthier so they aren't draining the system with obesity related problems.

I have more, but it's late, and I'm tired. I will have to add more criteria later.

No comments: