Friday, April 4, 2008

Dunkin' Donuts, Fashion, and the Doctor's

What do all those three totally random things have to do with each other?

This morning before work I had a doctor's appointment to get a shot - an immunization shot. My doctor likes to make sure I'm up to date on all my vaccinations. I figure it can't hurt and might as well try to stay as healthy as possible. Although my bp was 100/80 which is much higher than I normally am - usually I'm 100/60. Not sure if 80 is bad? The woman that took my blood pressure seemed unconcerned.

While she is taking my bp, and then administering the shot she says 'you have a really cute shirt on, where did you get it?' I tell her Bloomingdale's, and she's like 'WOW that must have been really expensive.' I don't really know how to respond to this. It's all relative. What's expensive to me could be REALLY expensive to some people, perhaps obscene, yet to others would seem cheap. So I don't know what the scale is on that. It's not like it's a shirt branded with logos, I like to wear things that are understated - well not all the time - I like sparkles or metallics - but not big logos on shirts or handbags. So it's not like it *looks* expensive (or at least I don't think it does) - it just looks like a nice shirt. Then she says 'that must have cost about $70' and I say yes something like that. I honestly can't remember how much I paid for the shirt, although $70 seems about right - it's not a new shirt I've had it for about a year. She then is like 'wow I buy shirts that are $12'.

Now I just feel bad. I don't want people to feel bad about what they can afford. I don't have kids. I don't own a house - I choose to buy nice clothes and shoes. I don't care what others wear or want to make them feel bad about it. I then say they have good sales sometimes (which they do), and she's like 'Yes! Neiman's does too, I used to love to go look through Neiman's for the sales before I had kids.' I agreed - I've gotten some great bargains at their sales - like $300 pants for $50 (I was very happy about that find).

At this point I'm all set, got the shot and I'm getting ready to leave. I'm putting on my jacket and grabbing my purse and she's like 'WOW nice purse I love that, is it Cole Haan?' No I say it's Car Shoe she's like looks like it was expensive was it $500 - I said a little more actually. How can I honestly answer this and not feel bad? I don't want to brag about how much I spend on clothes or my handbags (perhaps foolishly because I don't yet own a home, but whatever). She then says 'well it's a beautiful bag, it looks very nice. I want to buy the new Cole Haan bag - have you seen it yet?' I admitted I hadn't but from her description it sounded nice. We said our goodbyes and I left.

Anyway, I felt bad about it. I don't want people to feel bad they have less than me, but I'm not going to change where I shop because of it either. Goodwill must love me I donate lots of clothes, shoes, etc. every year. It just felt weird to discuss how much I spent on something with a stranger.

Then I stop at the Dunkin' Donuts which is right near the doctor's office on my way to work. I prefer Starbucks but this was close. This kid asks me what I want. I tell him a medium french vanilla iced coffee with splenda. He goes off to make it. Meanwhile I am holding out my DD gift card my mom gave me for Christmas to pay for it. He hands me the coffee and just says 'you're all set' Um what? I still stand there holding out the card and he doesn't take it. Instead he takes the order of the next person in line. I don't know what to do and she's now annoyed I'm not getting out of the way of the register. I waited another minute but he was all done with me and was onto the next person. So I just left. Thanks Dunks for the free coffee?

Odd morning.

No comments: